Residential Study Course in Denmark
2017 Dates: 14-17 May 2017(completed), 8-11 October 2017 (6 remaining places)
Other dates available upon request
This course is restricted to a small number of participants in order to ensure non-intrusive observation in the kindergartens and to allow for meaningful discussions with pedagogues and amongst the group. Therefore, early booking is recommended.
The courses are based in and around Viborg, in the north western part of the Jutland peninsula.
The study course aims to give participants an understanding of:
- The pedagogical theories underpinning Scandinavian practice.
- The use of the outdoor environment in the learning processes and early year's curriculum.
- Design and function of the indoor and outdoor environments.
This is achieved through:
- Visits to different kinds of mainstream and special kindergartens that illustrate a diversity of outdoor provision. In each kindergarten participants, will have the opportunity to observe play, to explore the setting and to talk with school leaders and pedagogues.
- Reflections, discussions following each visit, to share observations, thoughts and answer questions.
- Seminars covering the pedagogical theories, practice and culture of using the outdoors as an integrated part of the child's learning environment.
- Outdoor activities and games in forested areas near the motel.
Sunday: Registration and course briefing. Tour of Viborg and meal.
Monday: Visit to kindergarten. Reflections and discussion. Seminar.
Tuesday: Visit to kindergarten. Reflections and discussion. Outdoor activities.
Wednesday: Visit to kindergarten. Seminar. Closing reflections and discussion.
Costs and inclusions
Course fee: 8,800 Danish Kroner + MOMS (Danish VAT) @ 25% (If you have a European VAT registration number you do not have to pay Danish MOMS )
- Seminars, discussions and guided visits to nature kindergartens
- Inside-out-Nature Certificate
- 3 nights' accommodation in a motel in single on-suite rooms
- Evening meal on the Sunday
- Breakfast and packed lunches for the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
- A guided culture tour of Viborg
- Transport to and from institution visits and motel
- Travel to and from Denmark
- Evening meals on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
- Out of pocket expenses
- Travel and personal insurance
- Travel to and from local airports is available, prices vary depending upon how many passengers and which airport used (local airports being Aalborg, Billund and Karup)