Study Tour - Residential Course in Denmark
26-29 April 2020
Other dates available upon request
This course is restricted to a small number of participants in order to ensure non-intrusive observation in the kindergartens and to allow for meaningful discussions with pedagogues and amongst the group. Therefore, early booking is recommended. To pre-register for this course, or if you would like to be notified for future courses please fill in this form.
The courses are based in and around Viborg, in the north western part of the Jutland peninsula.
The study course aims to:
- Demonstrate examples of how the outdoor environment is used as part of the learning processes and early year's curriculum in Denmark.
- Offer participants an insight into the pedagogical principles underpinning Scandinavian practice.
- Enable participants to understand the 'why' and 'how' of children's learning and development in nature.
- Inspire and empower participants to reflect upon, and develop, their own outdoor practice.
This is achieved through:
- Visits to different kinds of mainstream and special kindergartens that illustrate a diversity of outdoor provision. In each kindergarten participants, will have the opportunity to observe play, to explore the setting and to talk with school leaders and pedagogues.
- Reflections, discussions following each visit, to share observations, thoughts and answer questions.
- Seminars covering the pedagogical theories, practice and culture of using the outdoors as an integrated part of the child's learning environment.
- Outdoor activities and games .
Sunday: Registration and course briefing. Tour of Viborg and meal.
Monday: Visit to kindergarten. Reflections and discussion. Seminar.
Tuesday: Visit to kindergarten. Reflections and discussion. Outdoor activities.
Wednesday: Visit to kindergarten. Seminar. Closing reflections and discussion.
Costs and inclusions
- 3 nights' accommodation in a motel in single on-suite rooms
- Evening meal on the Sunday
- Breakfast and packed lunches for the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
- Seminars, discussions and guided visits to nature kindergartens
- Inside-out-Nature Certificate
- A culture tour of Viborg
- Transport to and from institution visits and motel
- Travel to and from Viborg
- Evening meals on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
- Out of pocket expenses
- Travel insurance
- Personal insurance in case of an accident
Course fee: 1.300 euros (+24% VAT)